Helene S. Gidley
My real passion is working with Agile teams, coaching them to achieving greatness by coalescing as a team and generating enthusiasm for what they’re building. I am a certified PMP Project Manager and CSM (Scrum Master) with over twenty years of experience in the Information Systems industry. Resourceful leader with broad knowledge in Agile and traditional project management methodologies, application development and technical support. Contract and resource negotiation skills coupled with demonstrated problem resolution capabilities. Creative professional with strong communication and team building skills known for addressing multiple challenges and implementing innovative solutions. Founder of the Agile Groupies social network at agilegroupies.groupsite.com and Meetup.com, an Ann Arbor based user group with over 200 members.
Profile on LinkedIn here.
Agile software development, Agile Project Management, Scrum software development.
- Coach and Scrum Master for infrastructure department agile adoption. Analyze and implement practices that are effective for infrastructure teams. Coach development and product owners through agile approach. Assist team with work breakdown and incremental delivery.
- Managed key global project to consolidate seven separate library management systems worldwide into a single system. Introduced and directed system lifecycle methodology to guide the project management process, and accomplished project under budget and within specified timeframe.
- Acted as liaison between management, legal counsel and outside vendors to negotiate contracts. Worked closely with management and team members to establish and implement new business processes that were used throughout the participating sites.
- Led the development of a journal listing of global R & D and Corporate Affairs library sites to ensure commonality. Drove the generation of business requirements, system functionality, business process mapping and ensured business needs were achieved. Rapid application development was achieved through early prototyping.
- Directed the migration of data processing from out-of-state corporate to in-state R&D setting through detailed project planning, research data segregation, coordination of physical data movement, preparation of R & D infrastructure and creation of test plans. Pre-production testing involved coordinating activities of both system programming and client programming staffs
- Maintained research R & D data processing optimization through large-scale operating system and major hardware upgrades involving the supervision of contract employees, establishment of project timelines, workgroup coordination, task management activities and testing and validation efforts for a timely delivery.
- Managed 3 year integration effort of acquired ebooks company. Program consists of over 30 sub projects across HR, Sales, Marketing, IT, Finance, Customer Service, and Product Development. Defined program leadership and team structures, reporting format and cadences, and communication vehicles. Coaching sub teams on project management as needed and interacting with senior management.
- Founded in 2008 and continue to maintain Agile Groupies, local agile user group of over 200 individuals in the Southeastern Michigan area.
- Managed the maintenance and development of technical applications for human resources, facilities and materials management, data center and drug safety and evaluation departments. Guidance and expertise provided supporting technical programming, project specifications and system development methodology.
- Implemented enhanced Commercial Off-the-Shelf ( COTS ) resume and job tracking system for human resources by creating a comprehensive web-based report interface driven from Oracle database. Integration with external company web presence providing job applicants full search and job posting capabilities.
- Specification, design, construction, and implementation of facilities management system to track space allocation throughout all southeastern Michigan research buildings for facilities and materials management department.
- Design, construction and successful production implementation of web based United Way contribution application to all 2000+ colleagues in southeastern Michigan research campus. Partnered with research leaders and United Way sponsors to market and gain acceptance of this innovative contribution approach.
- Designed and created inventory application to enable comprehensive hardware and software reporting for the data center.
- Enhanced efficiency for drug safety and evaluation department through updated customized reports into web based technology. Completed full system validation in support of the FDA â€œGood Laboratory Practicesâ€ mandated by the federally regulated environment of research.
- Transitioned existing SAS mainframe application to web HTML and cgi technology used for managing and tracking preclinical compound studies.
- Implemented OS 370 Assembler extension to mainframe security system to provide routing and distribution codes for all printed reports allowing for enhanced tracking and distribution.
- Hand in Hand – PM Network; August 2003
Honors and Awards
- Making a World of a Difference award presented in December 2015. One of ProQuest’s highest awards for employees demonstrating corporate values. Nominated for exemplary scrum master duties.
- US Patent #8694594 ‘Method and System for Automated Team Support Message Delivery’ awarded in April 2014. The system is part of a suite of integrated health solutions to be offered by Wellness & Prevention Division of Johnson & Johnson. The system produces highly personalized team messages and individual messages based on a broad range of data inputs. These messages could act as a reminder or source of motivation to facilitate behavior change and team or individual support for reaching both team and individual goals. The messaging takes the topic, time of delivery, tone of delivery, frequency of delivery, method of delivery and mode of delivery into consideration based on broad passive and active data inputs. This approach allows for optimal tailoring to either an individual or team in support of their stated goals.
Education and Memberships
- Certified Scrum Master (CSM) – Scrum Alliance
- PMP Certification – Project Management Institute
- University of Michigan Executive Education: Leadership I & II, Effective Coaching and Counseling, Strategies for Growth
- B.B.A.: Business Computer Programming (Summa Cum Laude): Cleary College, Ypsilanti, MI
- A.A.S., Computer Technology: County College of Morris, Dover, NJ
- Active member: Huron Valley Chapter of the Project Management Institute